Monday, January 14, 2013

Quake Watch...

The first day of officially being away from home for too long. 

We're scheduled to fly East again on Wednesday morning, and we may have a dinner date with acquaintances, early tomorrow, but other than that, the single goal I have is to walk to the nearest market, to buy a quart of half and half, and three cans of cat food, and then bring them back here again.  I'll also want to stop at Starbux, mostly for the NYTimes, even though the Monday puzzles are so easy that I've probably solved it already, and I haven't even seen it yet.

Facebook is providing some distraction, but the normal people in the normal world are all doing their normal things, which normally exclude posting things of substance on Facebook.  The most exciting things so far today: eating two small slices of cold pizza from last night's dinner out; answering an email from a bookseller, from whom I've bought some sheet music, who asked if the delivery dates were going to be okay; doing all available puzzles in the LA Times; and I think there was something else, but I've already forgotten what it was. 

It's quite cold here (you always know a conversation is tanking, when the weather comes up) -- there's actually ice on the back walkway, and the leaves on the orange trees are all wilted.  And John checked online a few minutes ago, to learn that it's 19F outside!  That's like 19 below zero in New York.  I don't think people here in Southern California even know what sweaters are.  I always kind of enjoy being able to see my breath in the cold night air, but for my cousins, this is frightening.  Like an omen or something. 

Oh, and I wanted to mention in a timely manner (i.e. before anything happens) that last night, for the first time ever, I dreamed I was in an earthquake.  A real, honest-to-goodness ground-swaying, queasy-making earthquake.  Not the highways-collapsing grade, but still noticeable.  Said mention serving either as proof that my dreams are totally disconnected from events in the outside world, or that you should book your seats early, for the upcoming world tour of The Amazing Zimmerman, Dreams All, Tells All.  Tickets starting at $25.  Seniors and students $15, with identification. 

Just so you know.

Well, the hands of the clock have barely dipped into the afternoon, and I'm afraid I'm going to have to resort either to reading a book, or playing my addictive computer word game, or taking an aimless walk, or taking yet another nap.  I've already completed my shopping mission, with an additional purchase of some broccoli, of which we apparently didn't buy enough yesterday, at the Farmers' Market.  And I got the NYTimes, which costs a nose-bleed $2.50 here.  Maybe too, when John leaves for his afternoon of banking business, I'll walk back up the street, to a trendy coffee place my cousin Nancy told me about, and I could sit there and wonder what I should be doing.  Is it better to be semi-frustrated about pointless idleness with caffeine, or without?  I may be about to become a case study for one alternative or the other. 

Oh, and so far, no earthquakes today.  Darn it. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment