Tuesday, January 1, 2013

What Is This Thing Called Blogue,, or Welcome to the 14th Baktun

Nothing quite as bewildering as feeling like a stranger in one's own life...

I may have had an insight yesterday, prompted by who knows what random event -- I think I'm having a severe bout of creative constipation.  Or, maybe it would be more correct (and perhaps a little less unpleasant) to call it creative anorexia, as there's deliberate willfulness involved.

I get creative ideas by the bushelful.  I have materials aplenty.  I have sufficient energy and time.  And yet, I consistently dig in my metaphoric heels, and refuse to employ any of the above assets. 

I rationalize this stubborn, willful squandering of time and opportunity by looking around me, at the ever-dwindling amount of free space in any of the several work/storage spaces John is so enduringly patient to support.  Why add to the accumulation? 

But this self-denial has, obviously, extended even to creative endeavors that don't take up actual space (that I know of) -- to wit, this blogue itself.  But again, I feel as though I've somehow drifted into a life that seems oddly familiar, but isn't really mine.  And, like someone living in a rented residence, I feel disinclined to make much of an investment in an environment that's not really my own.

But, for whatever it's worth, and as it's New Year's Day -- the traditional time for making vows and pledges and promises -- I'm going to make every effort to follow my own Lenten discipline, and write a blogue entry... every day, for the coming year.  Even if it's just a single word.  (Like that's going to happen) 

No guarantees as to content, or amusement quotient.

One down, hundreds to go... 

No comments:

Post a Comment